Whoopsy Daisy Forum
Bienvenue sur Whoopsy Daisy, le forum des amoureux de la littérature et de la culture anglaise ! Pour profiter pleinement de notre forum, nous vous conseillons de vous identifier si vous êtes déjà membre. Et surtout n'hésitez pas à nous rejoindre si vous ne l'êtes pas encore !

Forum des amoureux de la littérature et de la culture anglaise

AccueilRechercherS'enregistrerConnexion
Bienvenue sur Whoopsy Daisy

Whoopsy Daisy n'est pas un blog, mais un forum participatif: participez !

Partagez

Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy

AuteurMessage
Emjy
Bookworm
Emjy

Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy Empty
MessageSujet: Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy   Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy Icon_minitimeLun 25 Déc - 17:40

Anna Carey est un jeune auteur pour laquelle j'ai eu un véritable coup de cœur il y a quelques mois. Elle a écrit The Making of Mollie, un roman sur le mouvement des suffragettes en Irlande que j'ai adoré (topic de présentation ici Arrow) et s'apprête à publier en mars le tome 2, Mollie on the march cheers  

Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy 6521563

J'ai eu l'occasion d'échanger avec elle et elle a eu la gentillesse d'accepter de répondre à quelques unes de mes questions  cheers  J'espère que cette petite interview vous donnera envie de découvrir son roman qui est intelligent, féministe et plein d'esprit. Pour la petite histoire, il a été été conseillé par Nina Stibbe et figure également sur les tables de présentations coups de cœur de la librairie Persephone Books  Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy 557349

Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy 51w3-j46mRL Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy 51D0RcY74wL

1) Qu'est ce qui vous a donné envie d'écrire un roman sur les suffragettes ?
I've always been interested in women's history but I knew more about the suffrage movement in Britain than in Ireland. The Irish movement is particularly interesting because it was active at the same time as the struggle for Irish independence, and there were some suffrage campaigners in Ireland who wanted to remain part of the United Kingdom, ruled from London, and some who (like the majority of the country) wanted more independence. There has only been one book about the Irish suffrage movement that was aimed at a general (as opposed to an academic) readership. I was interested in writing one myself, but it would have been a lot of work - the equivalent of doing a PhD! So I decided to write a novel instead. I was further inspired by the fact that Hanna Sheehy-Skeffington, the most well-known Irish suffragette leader who went to prison for her protests in 1912, went to the same secondary school as I did a century leater! It's the same school attended by Mollie in the books. The school's archivist was very helpful and let me look at the old yearbooks so I could read about what the school was like at that time.

2) Avez-vous lu beaucoup de romans sur les suffragettes (essais ou romans) ? Lesquels sont vos préférés ?
Oui! The most useful book was called Smashing Times: A History of the Irish Women's Suffrage Movement by Rosemary Cullen Owens. The Irish suffragette organisation the Irish Women's Franchise League had a great magazine called the Irish Citizen, so I looked up copies in the National Library, which were very useful. And Persephone books recently reissued a suffragette novel called No Surrender by Constance Maud, which Mollie, the heroine of my book, reads and is very moved by!

3) Quels sont vos auteurs préférés ?
There are almost too many to list! But my all-time favourites include Noel Streatfeild, E. Nesbit, Dorothy L. Sayers, Nancy Mitford, E.M. Delafield, Angela Carter, Joan Aiken, P. G. Wodehouse, Sylvia Townsend Warner, E.F. Benson, Diana Wynne-Jones Richmal Crompton and Sue Townsend.

4) Quels sont vos romans pour enfants ou ados préférés ?
Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones, The Painted Garden by Noel Streatfeild, Private, Keep Out by Gwen Grant, The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole age 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend, Five Children and It by E. Nesbit, Autumn Term by Antonia Forest, The Children of Green Knowe by Lucy M. Boston and many, many more...

5) Quel est le dernier livre que vous avez lu et aimé ?
A trilogy by Jo Walton that begins with Farthing - it's a murder mystery set in an alternate history in which Britain made piece with Nazi Germany in 1940. Totally and utterly gripping, as are the other two books in the trilogy.

6) Pouvez nous dire quelques mots sur le tome 2, Mollie on the march ?
It's set just after The Making of Mollie ended, and takes place over the summer of 1912, as the Dublin suffragettes prepared their real-life protest against the visit of Prime Minister Asquith. Mollie is on her summer holidays and she and her friend Nora are determined to take part in the protests. But their plans are hampered by the presence of Nora's awful cousin Grace and her new ally, Barnaby the dog...

7) Avez-vous prévu d'écrire d'autres livres ?
Oui, naturellement! I'm currently researching a possible book set in a London film production company during World War 2. I'm a big fan of the funny, strange, beautiful 1940s films of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, and I'm fascinated by writers like Pressburger, a Hungarian writer who fled Berlin in 1933 and, like his Austrian acquaintance Billy Wilder, who also left Berlin that year, ended up writing some of the best films ever made in English. I studied German at university and have always been fascinated and very moved by the fates of the writers who had to leave but couldn't work in another language, and this is something I'd like to explore in my next book, through the experiences of a young German Jewish refugee whose father used to be a successful screenwriter and who finds a job in a film studio herself.

Je crois que grâce à Anna Carey, ma liste de livres à lire va encore s'allonger !  lol!

Bookworm
Scarlatiine

MessageSujet: Re: Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy   Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy Icon_minitimeLun 25 Déc - 18:41

Merci Emjy pour cette très intéressante interview cheers J'avais déjà noté sur ma liste The Making of Mollie quand tu en avais parlé, cet entretien donne encore plus envie Wink
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Fanny
Bookworm
Fanny

MessageSujet: Re: Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy   Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy Icon_minitimeMer 27 Déc - 18:09

Merci de nous partager cette très intéressante interview. Elle aime Nancy Mitford! Wink Ces suggestions de lecture sur le thème des suffragettes sont inspirantes.
Hop, The Making of Mollie entre dans ma liste d'envie direct!

MessageSujet: Re: Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy   Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy Icon_minitime

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Interview d'Anna Carey pour Whoopsy Daisy
Page 1 sur 1